Bigfoot's Manager Wants Elbows Banned

Discussion in 'UFC' started by Kevin, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

In the wake of Bigfoots loss to Cain, his manager is looking for elbows to be banned.

What's your thoughts on this?
  2. ken

ken New Member

As a ufc fan for as long as i can remember its my opinion that the elbows should not be banned as they are a part of the sport.. To take them out of the sport would be like taking the pads off a goalie or the glove of and outfielder, It is true that they can cause cuts that end fights but so do unintentional eye pokes and groin shots. so if we ban the elbows what would be next... But like I said its only my opinion and take it as you see fit. thanks
  3. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I agree with you. The original UFC was probably the closest you would get two people fighting in a ring compared to fighting for real (apart from weapons). Many moves were banned and it benefited the sport but the more moves are stripped away, the less it becomes a mixed martial arts competition and simply kickboxing+grappling.

Elbows are vicious but it's not like every single fight is being won by elbows. Even if they were, it doesn't mean that they need to be removed.

I can see why he's pissed off though. A lot of muay thai fighters try and use downward elbows in fights rather than forward for power as they know that by doing so they are more likely to cut the other guy and win the fight. Though if you ban elbows, no doubt knees would be next...and before you know it every fight would go to a decision.
  4. Anton

Anton Moderator Staff Member

I can't agree with banning elbows. An important part of striking. As Kev says, ban elbows and where does it all end.
  5. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Banning elbows will just not be fair with the game and players. Elbows are an important part of the player and banning it will be to confine the player potential. I understand the reasons which are been given for such a step, but it is only going to crib the players in the long run.
  6. The last 3 opponents have broken their hands on Silva's skull. I think we should outlaw Thick Skulls