If Dan Hardy Loses, Should He Go To Strikeforce?

Discussion in 'UFC' started by Kevin, May 26, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

Love him or hate him, you need to respect the fact that Dan Hardy is game. Whenever he loses it's in a spectacular, which is why he's not been cut after 4 losses.

Even if he has an amazing fight and wins a fight of the night bonus, if he loses I think it will be difficult for the UFC to keep him on their books. They clearly do like him though so one option would be to send him to Strikeforce. I reckon it could be great for him. He could get his confidence back and pick up a few wins there before returning to the UFC later.

He's been pretty outspoken about Matt Hughes being a hunter. That's one fight I'd actually enjoy watching though I don't think he will get it (or deserve it) if he loses. If he wins at UFC 146 though, perhaps Matt Hughes could be an option for his next fight or the one after.

Do you think he would do well in Strikeforce?

It's worth noting that there isn't a welterweight champion in Strikeforce at the moment. There's a few decent fighters in the decision though like Nate Marquardt and Paul Daley (though Marquardt hasn't fought yet).

Kev
  2. Anton

Anton Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if I want him fighting Hughes. I'm a massive Hughes fan, but I'm also a fan of him retiring gracefully, on his own terms, unlike Chuck.

I do also think if Dan loses he absolutely must lose his job in Ufc. He already has limited relevance given his slide, and 0-5 just pretty much cements that.

The top brass do seem to like him though, so strikeforce is a very probably move if tonight goes badly. From the two you mention above, I think Nate would take him apart, and that a fight against Daley has the potential to be a cracking brawl
  3. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I'm still unsure of Hughes. The guys obviously a legend in the sport and comes across as a nice guy in interviews though I remember watching a few episodes of The Ultimate Fighter and he came across as a dick....though that's probably not a good reference point as those shows are designed to put people in stressful and awkward situations etc.

I believe Hardy has been training in the USA and improving his wrestling. I doubt he has a completely different style but it will be interesting to see if he fights a little differently than he normally does. Even if he loses and goes to Strikeforce, I reckon he would return to the UFC later as he's still fairly young.