UFC 146 Live Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'UFC' started by Kevin, May 27, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

Though I'd start a thread for everyone who is watching UFC 146 tonight. It will be easier to keep it all in the one thread :)

For those who are around just now, the prelim fights are on just now on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/UFC/app_247211121995467

Junior dos Santos vs Frank Mir
    Cain Velasquez vs Antonio Silva
    Roy Nelson vs Dave Herman
    Stipe Miočić vs Shane del Rosario
    Stefan Struve vs Lavar Johnson
    Diego Brandao vs Darren Elkins
    Edson Barboza vs Jamie Varner
    Jason Miller vs C.B. Dollaway
    Dan Hardy vs Duane Ludwig

Paul Sass vs Jacob Volkmann

Glover Teixeira vs Kyle Kingsbury

Mike Brown vs Daniel Pineda

ufc146.png
  2. Kevin

Wow. What a performance by Jamie Varner. That big right hand that put him to the ground was amazing. Surprised the ref didn't stop it a few seconds earlier.
  3. Kevin

Loving the rewind facility on the prelim page for UFC. I had missed the Hardy fight but just rewound it. Fantastic result for him. He was oozing confidence the whole fight.

Clearly he was elated to get the win - he was celebrating before he even finished Ludwig off.
  4. Kevin

If this Brandao/Elkins continues like this, it's going to be fight of the night!
  5. Kevin

1 round each. The third is going to be quality!

WTF is going on with Elkins ear?

elkin-ear.png
  6. Anton

Anton Moderator Staff Member

Just caught up on it now, thought it would be a great card, and it really was.

Some excellent performances, Cain looked hungry and back,Struve showed some fantastic technique, brilliant knock out by fat Roy, and Dos Santos continues to impress, so comfortable against Mir.

Even your boy Hardy got in on the act :D
  7. Kevin

I thought Hardy did really well. With the way he fights though, there's always a chance he'll get knocked out, though I reckon he'll be able to string a few wins together.

Cain looked great. I hope he fights Dos Santos next. You need to remember, he was quite unlucky against Dos Santos. If Dos Santos had caught him on the chin he might have been ok but it caught him behind the ear and anyone who gets hit there goes down. I'm not saying that Cain would definitely have won last time if it wasn't for that punch, but it at least it would have been a good fight.

Was a great card overall. As expected, very few fights went the distance.

Struve played a smart game. Levar is lethal. Guys like him will always be dangerous but they'll never be a contender if they rely solely on their striking.
  8. Anton

I think Cain proved he deserved his rematch. He's next in line as far as I'm concerned. Although definitely watching Corrimer with interest as well.
  9. Kevin

In the press conference Dana said that Corrimer will definitely be coming to the UFC. He said it's up to him what division he fights in but he'd like to see him go to 205 since he's such a small heavyweight. Would be good to see him fight Jon Jones.
  10. Anton

It's a good shout, lots of rumours Jones fancies himself as a heavyweight as well.

i think I'd rather see Corrimer at HW, I believe that the guys should fight where they are most naturally comfortable, as opposed to forcing a harder weight cut.
  11. Kevin

I don't know mate. He's not exactly the most ripped guy out there. He's perhaps not as overweight as Nelson though he is definitely carrying a lot of extra pounds. Plus, his training partner is Cain, so perhaps he wouldn't want to fight in the same division.

[​IMG]
  12. Anton

Possibly mate, but it's psychological as well. If you feel comfortable, feel good, if the not having to focus on the cut helps your training etc etc, then it will show in your fighting.
  13. Kevin

Yeah. Some fighter really detest having to cut weight, though there are advantages to doing so. It's one of the reasons why the UFC keeps asking Edgar to drop a weight class. He's fighting guys that have 15-20 pounds on him.
  14. Anton

I know, and he's insistant he wants Henderson again. I think he's afraid to drop, in case the Zombie gets hold of him.
  15. Kevin

Shogun definitely deserves a rematch. Don't think that's something that anyone can dispute. If I remember right, Henderson was promised that if he won the fight he would get a title shot and he's decided to wait for it.
  16. Anton

are we talking different classes