UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall Predictions Competition

Discussion in 'UFC' started by Kevin, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

As MMA Forums is only a few weeks old, I thought it would be good to host a competition to help kickstart the forum, get people posting and have some fun along the way. I've decided to have a competition based on this Fridays event 'UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall'.

The premise is really simple. Everyone choose a winner for each of the fights on the card. Additionally, they need to pick the round the fight ends and the method of the win (i.e. TKO, Sub or Points). The winner will get a Basic UFC Fight Club Membership for access to all UFC content and lots of bonuses such as a t-shirt etc :)

UFC-on-FX-3-poster.jpg

Competition Details

The competition is very straight forward. For each fight on the card you must pick a winner. You must also choose the round the fight will end and the way the fight ended.
    • 3 Points will be awarded for choosing the correct winner of the fight.
    If, and only if, you choose the correct winner of the fight, you will also be awarded the following:
    • 5 points for choosing the correct round.
    • 5 points for choosing the way the fight ended (TKO, Submission or Points).
    Therefore, someone who chose the correct winner of the fight, the correct round and the method the fight was won, will get 13 points.

Someone who didn't chose the winner of the fight but chose the round and method the fight was won correctly, will get 0 points i.e. you will only get points for the round and method if you choose the correct winner of the fight.

Draws are very rare. A draw will result in a fight going the distance and no fighter getting a decision (unanimous or split). Someone picking a draw correctly will get 25 points instead of the maximum of 13 which is awarded to choosing the winner, round and method (due to how rare they are).

The card for UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall:

Fuel TV Welterweight Jake Hecht vs Sean Pierson
    Fuel TV Lightweight Henry Martinez vs Bernardo Magalhaes
    Fuel TV Light Heavyweight Buddy Roberts vs Caio Magalhaes
    Fuel TV Lightweight Tim Means vs Justin Salas
    Fuel TV Bantamweight Dustin Pague vs Jared Papazian
    Fuel TV Featherweight Leonard Garcia vs Matt Grice
    Fuel TV Welterweight Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha
    Fuel TV Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs Lance Benoist
    Main Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs Scott Jorgensen
    Main Welterweight Mike Pyle vs Josh Neer
    Main Welterweight Erick Silva vs Charlie Brenneman
    Main Flyweight Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall

More details about the event can be viewed on Wikipedia and the official UFC website.

How to enter the competition

To enter the competition, all you have to do is copy the fight list noted above and confirm your pick afterwards. For example, for the first fight you would write:

Fuel TV Welterweight Jake Hecht vs Sean Pierson - Jake Hecht Round 2 TKO

It will make it much easier for us to administer if everyone follows this format. You are not allowed to change your pick after you have entered so please make sure you have researched all fights well before posting. And if you don't know much about a fight, just have a guess. This is MMA afterall and anything is possible. :)

Whenever a member confirms their pick, we will copy their entry into the second post in this thread. My friend Anton has kindly offered to help me out with this and has therefore been upgraded to moderator status so that he can make amendments to the second post (Anton will also be eligible to win the prize if he is the member with the most points).

Competition Rules & Notes:
    • The competition is free to enter.
    • You must pick a winner, round and method of win for each fight.
    • Please ensure you have submitted your entry at least 5 hours before the event (this will allow us to confirm your entry and copy it to the second post).
    • Those who enter must have a minimum of 5 quality posts on MMA forums before the event starts (saying 'I agree' or 'good post' doesn't count).
    Anyone who doesn't follow the rules above will not be eligible for the prize and the person with the next most points will be declared the winner. This ensures that the competition is fair for everyone who enters :)

The Prize - Basic UFC Fight Club Membership

The member with the most points after the event will win a Basic UFC Fight Club Membership.

ufc-fight-club.png

The basic membership includes:
    • 1 year membership to the UFC fight club
    • Fighter chats
    • Access to the UFC fight club online community - blogs, message boards, private chats, photo uploads etc
    • Members only contests and events
    • 10%d discount on all UFC merchandise online
    • Buddy icons and wallpapers
    • Exclusive video and archived footage
    • UFC Fight Club exlusive T-Shirt
    • More surprises are added throughout the year
    Future Competitions

I discussed the idea of this competition with Anton at great length today. Specifically, we talked about how points are awarded. I thought about adding additional points for certain things. For example, giving bonus points to someone who picked the winner of each fight in the event and perhaps an additional point for choosing whether a points win was a majority or split decision. We agreed that it was better to keep things simple at first.

My plan is to have a competition for every major UFC event. UFC 147 isn't until 23 June 2012 so if this competition goes well, that event will be used as the first big competition and will have more prizes on offer.

Consider this competition a trial run in many ways. After the competition we can see how things went and see if the point system has to be changed or if any other rules need to be tweaked, added or removed.

I'm aware that many people won't be happy with a minimum post rule but for me, it's something that is important. MMA Forums has a bright future but at the moment it's brand new and needs more members. More specifically, it needs members posting. My hope is that the forum grows as a result of this competition. If that happens, I will be able to fund every UFC event (and possible other events too) and offer bigger and better prizes. I also think that if we do start launching more competitions here, it would be unfair to members who post here every day to lose out in the competition with only one post. Put bluntly, I would rather reward those who contribute to the forum on a regular basis :)

Good luck

I wish everyone who takes part the best of luck in the competition. I'm not eligible for a prize myself though I will take part in the competition just for fun (solely in the hope that I do well and can brag about it!!).

If you are unsure about any part of this competition or have a suggestion as to how it can be improved, please let us know.

Good luck,
    Kevin
    Deborah likes this.
  2. Kevin

COMPETITION ENTRIES

Anton:

Fuel TV Welterweight Jake Hech t vs Sean Pierson Hecht Submission Round 2
    Fuel TV Lightweight Henry Martinez vs Bernardo Magalhaes Magalhes Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Light Heavyweight Buddy Roberts vs Caio Magalhaes Magalhes Submission Round 1
    Fuel TV Lightweight Tim Means vs Justin Salas Means TKO Round 1
    Fuel TV Bantamweight Dustin Pague vs Jared Papazian Papazin Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Featherweight Leonard Garcia vs Matt Grice Garcia TKO Round 2
    Fuel TV Welterweight Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha Rocha Submission Round 2
    Fuel TV Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs Lance Benoist Baczynski TKO Round 1
    Main Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs Scott Jorgensen Jorgenson Decision Round 3
    Main Welterweight Mike Pyle vs Josh Neer Neer TKO Round 1
    Main Welterweight Erick Silva vs Charlie Brenneman Brenneman Decision Round 3
    Main Flyweight Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall Mccall Submission Round 2

Kevin:

Fuel TV Welterweight Jake Hecht vs Sean Pierson Jake Hecht Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Lightweight Henry Martinez vs Bernardo Magalhaes Henry Martinez Submission Round 2
    Fuel TV Light Heavyweight Buddy Roberts vs Caio Magalhaes Caio Magalhaes TKO Round 2
    Fuel TV Lightweight Tim Means vs Justin Salas Tim Means TKO Round 1
    Fuel TV Bantamweight Dustin Pague vs Jared Papazian Dustin Pague Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Featherweight Leonard Garcia vs Matt Grice Leonard Garcia TKO Round 2
    Fuel TV Welterweight Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha Mike Pierce Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs Lance Benoist Seth Baczynski Submission Round 2
    Main Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs Scott Jorgensen Eddie Wineland TKO Round 1
    Main Welterweight Mike Pyle vs Josh Neer Josh Neer TKO Round 2
    Main Welterweight Erick Silva vs Charlie Brenneman Erick Silva TKO Round 1
    Main Flyweight Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall Ian McCall TKO Round 3

Hero of Time:

Fuel TV Lightweight Henry Martinez vs Bernardo Magalhaes Martinez Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Light Heavyweight Buddy Roberts vs Caio Magalhaes Magalhes TKO Round 2
    Fuel TV Lightweight Tim Means vs Justin Salas Means Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Bantamweight Dustin Pague vs Jared Papazian Pague Submission Round 1
    Fuel TV Welterweight Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha Pierce TKO Round 1
    Fuel TV Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs Lance Benoist Baczynski Submission Round 2
    Main Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs Scott Jorgensen Jorgenson TKO Round 1
    Main Welterweight Mike Pyle vs Josh Neer Pyle Submission Round 1
    Main Flyweight Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall Mccall SubmissionTKO Round 2 Fuel TV

Elbow Sandwich

Fuel TV Welterweight Jake Hecht vs Sean Pierson (Hecht TKO RD 3)
    Fuel TV Lightweight Henry Martinez vs Bernardo Magalhaes (Magalhaes SUB R1)
    Fuel TV Light Heavyweight Buddy Roberts vs Caio Magalhaes (Roberts UD)
    Fuel TV Lightweight Tim Means vs Justin Salas (Salas UD)
    Fuel TV Bantamweight Dustin Pague vs Jared Papazian (Pauge SUB 2)
    Fuel TV Featherweight Leonard Garcia vs Matt Grice (Garcia TKO 2)
    Fuel TV Welterweight Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha (Piere TKO 1)
    Fuel TV Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs Lance Benoist (Benoits SUB 2)
    Main Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs Scott Jorgensen (Jorgenson Desc)
    Main Welterweight Mike Pyle vs Josh Neer (Neer TKO 3)
    Main Welterweight Erick Silva vs Charlie Brenneman( Silva TKO 2)
    Main Flyweight Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall (Uncle Creepy Decision)
  3. Anton

Anton Moderator Staff Member

Sounds good Kev, one question, which I've sent you.

I'll be honest a lot of names I'm not familiar with here, some study needed before I stick my predictions in.
  4. Kevin

Yeah a points win would be registered as a win in round 3 (or 5 for a championship fight). Perhaps the points awarded to those who choose a win in round 1 or 2 should be higher to reflect this.
  5. Anton

Cool that's fine with me mate. I'd leave it as is for now, use this one as the trial to test it all out. Can change it going forward if it doesn't feet right after this one.
  6. Kevin

Yeah there's a few fighters I haven't seen too. Was trying to find the odds for all fighters but most websites are just showing odds for the main fights, not every one.
  7. Anton

Fuel TV Lightweight Henry Martinez vs Bernardo Magalhaes Magalhes Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Light Heavyweight Buddy Roberts vs Caio Magalhaes Magalhes Submission Round 1
    Fuel TV Lightweight Tim Means vs Justin Salas Means TKO Round 1
    Fuel TV Bantamweight Dustin Pague vs Jared Papazian Papazin Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Welterweight Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha Rocha Submission Round 2
    Fuel TV Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs Lance Benoist Baczynski TKO Round 1
    Main Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs Scott Jorgensen Jorgenson Decision Round 3
    Main Welterweight Mike Pyle vs Josh Neer Neer TKO Round 1
    Main Flyweight Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall Mccall Submission Round 2
  8. Kevin

Ahh you beat me too it. I was going to pick Mccall in round two as well though I'm going for a TKO...in round 3 just to be different! (I could end up regretting the change). I put your picks in red to make it easier to see your picks.

Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha was such a hard fight to call with both guys having good records but coming off split decisions. I went for Pierce just to spite you ;)

Fuel TV Welterweight Jake Hecht vs Sean Pierson Jake Hecht Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Lightweight Henry Martinez vs Bernardo Magalhaes Henry Martinez Submission Round 2
    Fuel TV Light Heavyweight Buddy Roberts vs Caio Magalhaes Caio Magalhaes TKO Round 2
    Fuel TV Lightweight Tim Means vs Justin Salas Tim Means TKO Round 1
    Fuel TV Bantamweight Dustin Pague vs Jared Papazian Dustin Pague Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Featherweight Leonard Garcia vs Matt Grice Leonard Garcia TKO Round 2
    Fuel TV Welterweight Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha Mike Pierce Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs Lance Benoist Seth Baczynski Submission Round 2
    Main Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs Scott Jorgensen Eddie Wineland TKO Round 1
    Main Welterweight Mike Pyle vs Josh Neer Josh Neer TKO Round 2
    Main Welterweight Erick Silva vs Charlie Brenneman Erick Silva TKO Round 1
    Main Flyweight Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall Ian McCall TKO Round 3

I can see me winning this :)
  9. Anton

So far you've only me to beat :D

Hundreds of views on the thread, would really encourage folk to take 5 minutes to take part!
  10. Kevin

Yeah. Hopefully we will get at least 10 entries. We can then start planning the next competition. Should be fun. Definitely makes it more interesting to watch when you have something riding on it. :)
  11. Anton

Totally agree. Over 310 views so hopefully we'll get a few returning before the show.
  12. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

Well, I am not familiar with any of these fighters really, and I won't have the time to do proper research, so i'm going to enter blind and make a guess prediction for each fight! At least it will make watching it more interesting!

Fuel TV Lightweight Henry Martinez vs Bernardo Magalhaes Martinez Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Light Heavyweight Buddy Roberts vs Caio Magalhaes Magalhes TKO Round 2
    Fuel TV Lightweight Tim Means vs Justin Salas Means Decision Round 3
    Fuel TV Bantamweight Dustin Pague vs Jared Papazian Pague Submission Round 1
    Fuel TV Welterweight Mike Pierce vs Carlos Eduardo Rocha Pierce TKO Round 1
    Fuel TV Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs Lance Benoist Baczynski Submission Round 2
    Main Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs Scott Jorgensen Jorgenson TKO Round 1
    Main Welterweight Mike Pyle vs Josh Neer Pyle Submission Round 1
    Main Flyweight Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall Mccall SubmissionTKO Round 2
  13. Anton

Mate, Kev and myself were the exact same. A lot of unfamiliar names. I spent half an hour on Wikipedia, but your guesses will probably score more points than my research :D

Thats your entry confirmed :cool:
  14. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

Haha, here's hoping!
  15. Anton

Exdpecting a few more entries. Interesting that we've all went Mccall, given most would say Johnson won the last fight. Seemed a bit unlucky in all the controversy!
  16. Hero Of Time

Hero Of Time Member

I only went with McCall for that glorious mustache haha
  17. Anton

To be fair it is a work of art.
  18. Kevin

Definitely the best tache in mma...could get better though ;)

[​IMG]
  19. Anton

using my buttons wisely mate. Updated the thread with predictions. And found a "sticky" button :cool:
  20. Kevin

One day left folks. Get your predictions in :)